The OV-chipkaart is the payment method used for public transport throughout the Netherlands. There are two types of card, the anonymous or personal OV-chipkaart. You can use an OV-chipkaart to pay to travel on GVB and all other public transport companies in the Netherlands. This includes the trains of the national railways (NS).
- On the personal card, you can load all travel products, including season tickets.
- You can opt for automatic loading, which will ensure you always have a sufficient balance on your e-purse.
- If the event of theft or loss, you can block the card.
- The personal card is needed for the age-based fare reduction for children between four and eleven years of age and seniors 65 or older.
- A personal card is valid for five years.
- This card is not personal.
- The card can be used by you and other people (but not at the same time for the same trip).
- After purchasing this card and loading a balance or travel product, the card is ready for use.
- An anonymous card is valid for four to five years.
If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, you can purchase a paper chip ticket. When you purchase this ticket, it has a preloaded travel product on it, for example, 1 hours or 1 day/24 hours of travel.
- Once used, you cannot use the travel product again.
- Paper GVB chip cards are only valid on GVB public transport vehicles. Note: always check in and out with this chip card. If you forget, the ticket immediately becomes invalid and you will no longer be able to use it.